1._____has just taken his first step into_____.
A. Man; space B. The man; space C. Man; the spaceD. Men; a space
2. They are _____.
A. mathematics student
B. student with mathematics
C. students with mathematics
D. students of mathematics
3. Though our home was right in the center of the tornado, there was_____
A few damages
B. few of damages
C little damage
D. little of damage
4. She knows that as a secretary she must be pleasant and helpful no matter how busy she is or what kind of _____ she may be in.
A. mood B mind C. form D thought
5. He dropped the _____ and broke it.
A.cup of coffee
B. coffee's cup
C cup for coffee
D. coffee cup
6. I have a dream that we will one day live in a _____ where we'll have a lot of trees and fresh air.
A. stateB. countryC. nationD space
7. He went to the front a soldier and came back _____.
A to be a general
B. becoming a general
C. a general
D. being a general
8. As the plane came down through the clouds, green fields and white houses came into_____.
A. lightB sightC. eyesD. effect
9. He is used to _____.
A. work hard
B. hard work
C work hardly
10. He went back to the hall to try his _____ at finding his lost gold watch, but never found it.
A bestB success C. result D. luck
11. It's really _____ computer games. But remember not to play too much
A. funs B. fun C funny D. a fun
12. He left _____ with my secretary that he would call again in the afternoon. He said he would like keep _____.
A. words; his words
B word; his word
C word; word
D. the word; his word
13. The child is looking forward to _____the Great Wall.
A visiting to
B a visit to
D. be visited
14. The new law will come into _____on the day when it is passed.
A. effect B being C. serviceD existence
15. -Did your father give you courage?
-Yes, but I spoke from my own thought and certainly not_____.
A himB. hisC from him D from his
16. I love thinking of new designs. It keeps my mind clear and active and fills my retired life with _____.
A. surprise B anxietyC joyD. difference
17. What a _____ that your mother is ill again.
A pain B. sorrow C sadness D. pity
18. He told me he had been offered a well-paid _____.
A. business B service C work D. position
19. There was a small _____ of sugar in the bowl.
A. number B. amountC part D. size
20. Today CCTV offers a great_____ of programs to meet the different needs and_____.
A. variety; tastes
B. many; interests
C. deal; like
D. number; habits
21. Mary regretted _____ to John’s birthday party last Sunday.
A. not going B. not to go C. not having been going D. not to be going
22. The famous novel is said _____ into Chinese.
A. to have translated B. to be translate
C. to have been translated D. to translate
23. Standing on the bank, the children watched the ship _____ with all kinds of goods.
A. loading B. being loaded C. to be loaded D. having loaded
24. I _____ writing the article by the time you get back.
A. shall finish B. must have finished
C. have finished D. shall have finished
25. Mary never tells anyone what she does for a _____.
A. job B. work C. profession D. living
26. I’m sorry I couldn’t get in touch with him before he left, I _____ him earlier.
A. had a telephone B. have phoned
C. should have phoned D. should be phoned
27. With the old man _____ the way, we had no trouble in finding that mysterious cave.
A. leading B. led C. lead D. to be led
28. _____ anything about the accident, he went to work as well.
A. Not know B. Know not C. Knowing not D. Not knowing
29. Nowhere else in the world _____ more attractive scenery than in Switzerland.
A. you can find B. is found C. can you find D. has been found
30. The voters told the politician that he could _____ on their support in the next general elections.
A. expect B. decide C. count D. doubt
31. An old friend from abroad, _____ I was expecting to stay with, telephoned me from the airport.
A. that B. whom C. who D. which
32. Peter wishes that he _____ law instead of literature when he was in college.
A. could study B. studied C. had studied D. would study
33. When she heard the bad news, she _____ completely.
A. broke away B. broke up C. broke down D. broke out
34. He _____ a large fortune from his business.
A. made B. won C. expected D. gained
35. He never wrote to his father _____ he was in need of money.
A. except B. except when C. except for D. except that
36. He looked behind him to _____ he was not being followed.
A. believe B. find C. make sure D. look
37. The car was repaired but not quite to my _____.
A. joy B. pleasure C. attraction D. satisfaction
38. Are you _____ spending more money on the space program?
A. in favor of B. by favor of C. in favor to D. out of favor
39. Fortunately, the demonstration _____ to be quite peaceful.
A. turned in B. turned out C. showed off D. showed up
40. _____ was unimportant.
A. Whether he enjoyed our dinner or not
B. No matter how he enjoyed our dinner
C. If he enjoyed our dinner
D. What he enjoyed our dinner
41. It is _____interesting book. It gives _____wonderful picture of what _____ life was like in ____ Victorian times.
A. a; the; the; the B an; a; ╳; the
C. the; the; ╳; ╳D. an, a, ╳, ╳
42. Everybody should mind ____own business.
A. hisB. one’s C their D. theirs
43._____of March is my sister’s birthday.
A. The twenty-one B. Twenty- one C. The twenty-firstD. Twenty –first
44. If the local government took some measures, there would be ____crimes in the town.
A. lessB. fewerC. many D. little
45. You’ll run ____trouble if you don’t take care.
A downB. at C. acrossD. into
46. They returned successfully from ____moon to ____earth .
A. ╳, ╳B. ╳, theC. the, theD the, ╳
47. “Did Jack and Tom go to the film yesterday evening?” “No. _____of them did.”
A. EitherB. Not oneC. Neither D. No one
48. A student should be _____ intense concentration.
A. capable toB. able ofC capable of D. able to
49. He was ____for murder .
A. hang B. hung C. hanged D. hanging
50. The rain _____and the air was clean.
A. had stopped B. has stoppedC. will stopD. was stopped
51. Mary said she____ to Beijing twice.
A. had gone B. wantC. had beenD was
52. Must I attend the meeting? _____.
A. Yes, you need. B. No, you needn’t. C. Yes, you do. D. No, you don’t.
53.Finally his boss found an excuse and had him ____from the factory.
A. dismiss B. dismissing C. to dismiss D dismissed
54. My bicycle needs ______.
A. repairedB. repairingC. to repairD. being repaired.
55. People _____in this firm were mostly women.
A working B. worked C work D. being working
56. They requested that we ____a delegation to their country.
A would sendB. were to send C. sentD. should send
57. English _____all over the world. And many children start to learn English at very young age.
A. is speaking B. speaking C. speaksD. is spoken
58. If I _____ his telephone number I _____him.
A knew, callB. knew, would callC. have known, callD. knew, am calling
59. On seeing an old woman _____off. A young man rushed up to help her.
A. fallingB fallC. fellD. felt
60. “My daughter ______in 1997,” she told her friend.
A. did marriage B. got married C. had marriedD. married
61. But for the heavy rain, they _____earlier.
A will have come B cameC. would have come D. had come.
62. She has the ability to keep _____in an emergency.
A. calmlyB. calmC. to be calmD. being calm
63. She ____ that they can mistake this for that.
A thinksB.does thinkC. doesn’t thinkD. hasn’t thought
64. Sometimes we may ask ourselves _____the result will be if an earthquake strikes in our area.
A. thatB. whichC. whetherD. what
65. We even have no idea ____will happen, so we all feel nervous.
A in which B.in what C. of whatD. of which
66. John bought a new car on the day when ____him.
A did we meetB. have met C. we met D. we meet
67. How ____he plays the violin!
A. graceful B. graceC. gracefullyD. gracefulness
68. We decided against turning to others for help for the reason ____we could manage to control it.
A. becauseB. for whichC. that D. why
69. We left the mother a note ____she was worried when she came back.
A. if B. so that C. in case D. unless
70. Professor Black has us _____a composition every Friday.
A to write B written C. wrote D. write
11-20 BBBAD CDDBA
21-30 ACBDD CADCC
31-40 BCCAB CDABA
41-50 DACBD CCCCA
51-60 CBDBA DDBBB
61-70 CBCDC CCCCD